Create Health: Self → Family → Community
Many of us feel pulled in so many directions, we often neglect to take care of ourselves. Those of us that are inclined to be caretakers are particularly prone to this – but if we don’t take care of ourselves, how can we continue to help others?
In my life this had gotten to a point that my family ceremoniously gave me a home-made “certificate” as permission to prioritize taking care of myself. I took it to heart, and it was a turning point in my health, which eventually enabled me to pay it forward to family and community. How else can we ever collectively change directions but to choose again for ourselves, and then be truly helpful to others?
With the way the world seems to be going, many of us have found it difficult to lean into our dreams, difficult to see ourselves as shining inspiration to others, and difficult to ask ourselves questions like:
- What do I want that matters most to me with regard to my health?
- What would it feel like to have that?
- How would my life change?
- How would it affect the people I love / the people that may look to me for an example, hope, inspiration?
My clients have often become an inspiration to me; some of the most inspiring stories of people taking control of their health start with some of the most difficult situations. It’s all about supporting what you want. Does that include:
- Changing directions with your health?
- A structured plan for bridging the gap between your present health and your desires?
- Personal support regarding your best next steps, with some customizing of your plan to move you forward?
- Putting yourself in the driver’s seat and taking control of your daily habits?
I’d love to hear YOUR answers! To paraphrase Dr. Larry Cheskin from a recent lecture I attended: PERSONAL CHOICE is key to one’s ability to GET motivated, STAY motivated, and affect LASTING CHANGE.